Annons:
Tagmental-health
Read 683 times
Evelina
2020-04-24 12:12

The Science Behind Mindfulness

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I listened to this course called, “The Science Behind Mindfulness” on Audible awhile back and found it really interesting! It is about of the Great Courses Series on Audible. It’s easy to listen to even though it is over 10 hours (if I remember correctly). I enjoyed listening to a lecture or two on my daily walks. It also includes guided meditations. Link: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Science-of-Mindfulness-Audiobook/B00MEQRUG0?plink=be990686-5658-44&ref=a_pd_Practi_c15_1_adblp13npsbx&pf_rd_p=11889fd9-4416-4356-bc07-352d5a78bbc3&pf_rd_r=ZGA3AK7X0NKGSV6A1AD5

Annons:
Niklas
2022-02-08 09:15

Is it possible to sum up the findings of the science behind mindfulness in a sentence or two?

I think I’m really bad at being mindful and living in the present. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2022-02-08 11:41

Mindfulness helps you manage your thoughts and your reaction to them, including unproductive thoughts. Mindfulness changes the brain, impacting the amygdala (the fear centre). It's a region of the brain that is primarily associated with emotional processes. Studies show that this region becomes smaller and less active, in the form of less grey matter on brain scans, following mindfulness sessions. Research has also studied the effects of long term mindfulness practitioners and found that their amygdala is significantly smaller than the average person. The hippocampus also plays a role in mindfulness. The hippocampus, the region of the brain associated with memory, helps regulate the amygdala. Following mindfulness training, this part of the brain was also found to be more active.

Okay that was longer than a sentence but to sum up mindfulness contributes to positive changes to your brain's neuroplasticity (which are actually very real substantive changes — in that they can be seen using brain scans!). It's pretty neat actually!

Niklas
2022-02-08 19:11

#2: Wow, making parts of the brain smaller and less active sounds a little scary, even if it’s the center of fear. 😬

Thanks for the summary! It gave me a different perspective on mindfulness.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2022-02-13 12:53

I think it is powerful to know that the average person actually has control over their brain's inner workings. Medication certainly helps, but I think a lot of people with anxiety, depression, chronic pain don't understand that they can actually make real change.

Evelina
2022-02-13 12:54

#4: That said, I know there are illnesses that require other treatments.

Scroll to top
Annons: