Annons:
Tag:ย mental-health
Read 772 times
Evelina
2019-07-28 15:48

Why I quit my internship for mental health

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

As some of you know, I went to Germany recently for an internship at a university with a professor. At the end of the first week, I quit for a number of reasons. I thought my experience might Help someone else out who might be in a similar situation. 

1. I couldn't manage my chronic pain condition.

I have chronic migraine and after travelling from the US to Stockholm, then Stockholm to Germany, I was exhausted. With chronic migraine, the only way to manage the pain is to manage your stressors, and the best way to do this is to have a set routine that you stick to no matter what. I wasn't able to maintain this when I got to Germany, unfortunately, which led to migraine day after migraine day. This led to the second reason I left. 

2. I was having panic attacks. 

The pain level I was experiencing for the migraines were much higher than I am used to, which led to me experiencing panic attacks. The panic attacks made me come to realise I needed to take control of my mental health and manage the stressors in my life. Going abroad and starting an internship is not going to make your life less stressful. 

3. Emotional stress.

After experiencing two deaths, a friend and family member, this summer, I have been under a lot of emotional stress. Needless to say, I needed a vacation or really a stay-at-home vacation and get back to my routine.

4. The internship was not up to my expectations. 

The internship was not up to my expectations, which is probably something most interns experience. However, there were some reasons that I will not share that made me realise that the internship really was not worth it for me both professionally and personally.

• Edited by Niklas 2022-02-08 09:41
Annons:
Niklas
2019-07-29 23:20

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out, but I'm glad you decided to end it early instead of trying to endure.

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

jordan
2019-07-29 23:39

I'm so sorry to hear! I hope that you rest well and find a routine that fits you better ๐Ÿ™‚

Tammie
2019-07-30 01:33

I am glad that you are taking your health seriously and taking time for rest!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย