Annons:
Tagmental-health
Read 750 times
Leia
2019-06-12 20:18

Self-harm

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

In my last post, I explained I was currently undergoing some training surrounding mental health. Here is what I learnt today:

Self-harm

It is difficult to get accurate data on self-harm prevalence because a lot of self-harm is kept secret. The best estimate of self-harm prevalence is one in every 12 to 15 young people. We know self-harm levels are higher among young people with emotional or conduct disorders than the average.  People generally find self-harm difficult to talk about, as can be seen in the study 'Talking self-harm YoungMinds/Cello (2012)':

• 3 in 4 young people don't know where to turn to talk about self-harm

• A third of parents would not seek professional Help if their child was self-harming

• Almost half of GPs feel that they don't understand young people who self-harm and their motivations

Why self-harming? 

There are many different reasons why young people self-harm: Some people won't be able to explain why they self-harm - they might not know or they may not be able to express it in words.

• Release of unbearable pressure

• Jolt back to reality (when disassociating)

• Escape from the unbearable emotional present

• Deflection of emotional to physical pain

• To have some control where this has previously been taken away

• Self-punishment

Signs and symptoms

There are many signs and symptoms to look out for that may indicate a young person is struggling with their mental health. Below are some key things to be aware of:

• A sense of physical release

• Change in behaviour from what is normal for that young person

• Not taking care of their appearance or hygiene

• Absence or sickness (in adolescence, young people often experience physical symptoms of anxiety or stress before they necessarily can articulate the issue, such as being sick before coming to programme)

• Socially isolated or withdrawing

• Erratic behaviour or mood swings

• Risk-taking behaviour

• Anger and aggression

• Not being able to concentrate and seeming distracted

• Avoiding friends and activities they used to find fun

• Seeming jumpy or nervous for no obvious reasons

• Panic attacks

• Tired

• Change in appetite

• Lack of aspiration or not being able to predict positive things happening in the future

Photo by Alvin Mahmudov on Unsplash

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Savvity is a network of interest centered communities
  • Edited by Niklas 2022-02-08 09:40
Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: