Annons:
Tagmental-health
Read 307 times
Leia
2019-03-20 00:30

Mike Thalassitis Death: a wakeup call

This week it was confirmed that reality star Mike Thalassitis, made famous after his appearance on Love Island, had died after committing suicide. Many have stressed that TV producers do not provide enough mental health Support to their contestants. Mike's death sheds light on the real realities on celebrity life and asserts "suicide does not discriminate". 

The news outlet, The Sun, launched the "You're Not Alone" campaign to encourage readers to reach out for Help with mental health problems and states if you, or anyone you know, needs Help dealing with mental health problems, the following organisations provide support:

• CALM - thecalmzone.net, 0800 585 858

• Heads Together -  Headstogether.org.uk

• Mind - Mind.org.uk, 0300 123 3393

• Papyrus - papyrus-uk.org, 0800 068 4141

• Samaritans -  Samaritans.org 116 123

What effects do you think reality TV shows have on its contestants as well as their viewers?

Do you have any details for additional Help and Support networks that are specific to other countries?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2019-03-25 20:09

I don't watch much reality TV, so my views on the dangers of taking part in them are pretty general. Being with a small group of people very intensely, in a fabricated setting, can play tricks with one's brain. I can imagine it is easy to lose track of what is real and fake and what is important and not. Also having it broadcast to a large audience of strangers amplifies feelings and impressions because you think not only of what is important to you but also of what you guess they think is important.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-03-25 22:01

#1 I would say your latter comment is probably the most pressing issue on reality TV stars, I had not thought of the 'Truman Show' effect (I guess you could call it) so being a forged setting.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Scroll to top
Annons: